Sunday, March 22, 2009

The Cheececakettes Spectacular (aka Mini Cheesecakes)



I am a sucker for Cheesecake, anything made with cream cheese for that matter. Smooth, rich, a little tangy, yummm. When Jess (
Chubb ), first told me about her cupcaking mission and I agreed to make them too, she showed me the list and allowed me to pick. As soon as I read the list, my eyes zoned in on this cheesecake recipe found in the February issue of Martha Stewart Living.

I’ve always been looking to make the perfect cheesecake. Although mini in stature, I came pretty close to that goal in these cakes. From watching Good Eatson FoodNetwork, I’d realized that I was baking my cheesecakes at too high a temperature which enabled cracks and a dryness to my cakes. Coupled with that knowledge I went forth to make these cupcakes.


Not one for apricot jam, I knew I would be using another kind. I saw mango jam at the store and thought to do an island-inspired cupcake. Rather than the wafer crust, I crushed coconut cookies. Then I baked the cheesecakes. One step I added in was cooking the cakes in a pan of hot water while instead of directly on oven rack. I think it increased the cooking time.

I chilled the cupcakes overnight and then again after spooning the liquefied jam in the center.The longer they chilled, the less soft/runny they were in. This cheesecake was very smooth, creamy and rich! The coconut crust added a nice flavor to the cake, as did the jam. However, I thought the jam a bit too sweet. Not only will I make these again, but also I will try it as a larger cake.

I thought the finished product resembled eggs that I posed them in the pine tree. Try balancing a cupcake on a branch while taking a picture!

0 comments: