Sunday, March 22, 2009

The Non Macaron

The photos you see here are the products of my second attempt at making Macarons. I’ve not realized that my first attempt was actually a success. What’s the saying, Hindsight is the best foresight? Before you read any further into how I murdered the macaron, you should know that to see how it’s REALLY done, you should check out Jess’s, my chef-in-crime, website, Chubb (although chances are, you are visiting my site because you went to hers first and saw she linked me).

And now onto my mac(aron) attack. I first thought that I had foiled my first attempt because I’d forgotten to sift my almond-sugar mix as per the direction found in Desserts Mag. Completely disappointed with myself, I went ahead with baking and in decide to swirl the batter into the circles rather than just pipe circles. When I put them to bake, they looked great actually, except I had swirled the cookies…(hello again, hindsight). My first attempt had FEET! They boasted a nice, shiny shell while hitting you with the chewy inside, almost reminiscent of nougat, except with that nutty flavor. They were, quite frankly, delicious. Imagine how they would be if I HAD sifted. So, I saved my Ghiradelli choc. chips for the next time. I filled the first set with ice cream, jams, and some with a few melted chocolate chips. I even just popped a few in my mouth plain.

Ready for my second go and determined for success, I set out to make Macarons part deux. My egg whites were aged and my almonds super ground. And come this time, I did NOT forget to sift. And THAT was my problem. I remember now when I read in the Macaron Chronicles of Veronica’s Test Kitchen about how she griped about almond flour. Like the almond flour, I think my mixture was too fine. When it was added to the egg whites, it produced the chewy factor, but no feet and no shell. SAD DAY! I still filled my cookies with a chocolate ganache and they still tasted delicious. They just weren’t macarons. Rest assured, there will be a part three to this saga…the resurrection.








0 comments: