Sunday, March 22, 2009

You’ve heard of Carrot Cake, how about: Tomato Soup Cake




When I was younger, I refused to eat any cake or bread with vegetables in it. Carrot cake? Nope. Zucchini Break? I passed. Pumpkin Pie? Gross. However, I’ve slowly grown to include those on my “in” list. And now I ask you what about Tomato Soup Cake? Sounds kinda weird. But skeptical as I was, I made the cake…and it was actually delicious bite after bite. 


My mom actually asked me to make the cake when she came across the recipe and remembered a co-worker who raved about her grandmother’s cake. The base of the cake is the traditional spice cake. Apparently, adding something acidic, like buttermilk or tomato soup will be counteracted by the spices to create a cake with just a hint of tang. I didn’t really taste this tang.

The cake smelled amazing with just a tiny hint of tomato. If anything the soup added to the moisture of the cake. There were also raisins and nuts in the cake. I topped it with a Cinnamon Buttercream which wasn’t too sweet with all that cake. If anything, it’s comparable to a Carrot Cake

The fun, quick part about making this cake is that you can definitely use shortcuts. In this instance, because I made a bunch of desserts in one night, I opted for the semi-homemade technique (shout out to Food Network’s Sandra Lee). To a box of yellow butter cake, I added my own spices: ground ginger, ground nutmeg, ground cinnamon, ground cloves and ground allspice. Now, you certainly can take the all-from-scratch route and make the spice cake or you can even go as far as to pick up a box of spice cake mix. Three levels of spice caking, your most convenient need only apply. Cinnamon buttercream is an easy-to-make as well. Just add cinnamon to your traditional buttercream recipe.

Bottom Line: I would make this cake again, but more as a wow factor. The spice part of the cake was heavenly. Loved the spices mixed in with the nuts and raisins.

Tomato Soup Cake with Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting

Ingredients:
1 package spice cake mix OR one package yellow butter cake mix OR spice cake recipe
1 can Condensed Tomato Soup
1 cup of pecans
1 cup of raisin
If using yellow cake recipe add:
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon all spice
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves


Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and lightly flour two 8-inch or 9-inch round cake pans. Make cake according to respective instructions (add spice if using plain cake mix). Add soup, nuts and raisins.  Bake cakes 20-25 minutes or until done. Let cool and add Frosting.

Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting
1 stick Butter
3 cups of confectioners sugar
3 tablespoons of Milk
2 teaspoons of Ground Cinnamon
1 teaspoon of Vanilla 

Directions
Place butter in mixing bowl and mix until fluffy. Add powdered sugar, add 3 tablespoon of milk and vanilla and butter flavoring and mix until fluffy. Then add the ground cinnamon and mix well. When the cake is completely cooled, frost the cake. Let set in the Fridge for 20 minutes before serving.

0 comments: